The information below should not be interpreted as an extension of the rules. The official rules in the current Rules Manual take precedence. This event is generously supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). For those who are interested, see the CD for Biology & Earth Science events and Disease Detectives CD available in the Science Olympiad Store. The 2014 emphasis is on Environmental Quality.
Information for the 2014 National Tournament ONLY: The Disease Detectives events for both Division B and C will deal with cryptosporidiosis in a child care center and asthma in a community. Competitors are encouraged to review and be familiar with the information on the following websites in preparation. Competitors should be able to demonstrate criticial thinking, an ability to interpret data and a working understanding of the basic principles of epidemiology and public health. Questions concerning statistics make up less than 5% of the Division C event and are not part of the Division B event.
- 2014 Training Power Point - NEW!
- 2014 Training Handout - NEW!
- 2013 Training Power Point
- 2013 Training Handout
- 2013 Event Supervisor Guide
- 2012 Training Handout
- 2012 Event Supervisor Handout
- 2012 Training Power Point
- Food Borne Illness Handout
- Elementary Sample Exam/Answers 2011
- Event Supervisor Tips - New Website Section for 2014!
- 2011 Disease Detectives Power Point (PPT)
- 2011 Training Handout (PDF)
- 2007 Div. B National exercise/Answers (PDF)
- 2007 Div. C National exercise/Answers (PDF)
- Training Handout (2008) (PDF)
- Training Handout (2009) (PDF)
- Training Handout (2010) (PDF)
- Sample Exercise (PDF)
Links from the CDC
- CDC Principles of Public Health Online Textbook
- World Health Organization 2nd Edition Online Textbook - Basic Epidemiology
- CDC Solve the Outbreak (iPad only) App - FREE!
- CDC Website on Environmental Health
- Disease Detectives Event Info
- Teacher Resource Center
- Environmental Health Center
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly
- NCEH Kids Page - Virus Encounters
- Science Ambassador Program - Lesson Plans and more
General Disease Detectives Links
- Principles of Epidemiology (CDC Online introduction to epidemiology textbook)
- Epiville (Outbreak Simulation Columbia University)
- Montclair State University - Middle School Epidemiology Curriculum
- The College Board Young Epidemiology Scholars (YES) Program
- National Institutes of Health – Emerging & Re-emerging Infectious Diseases
- Bad Bug Book- A compendium of bacteria, viruses, parasites and other causes of foodborne illness
- John Snow - UCLA site
- BAM - CDC Office of Communication website for middle school kids
- University of Pittsburgh Epidemiology Super course Website
- Population Growth Concerns
- Ecology of Increasing Disease
- Outbreak at Watershed (Online Game)
- Science Mystery (Online Game)
- Buffet Busters (Online Game)
Glossaries and Dictionaries